BASQUE WINES & FOODS SAN SEBASTIAN
In this sophisticated yet informal wine pairing we taste and experience the different varieties of Basque wines together with local delicacies. Our experienced guide explains the wine process from vine to wine. And we learn about 6 distinct wines from the Basque Country. Wine-making is not new to the Basques. Vineyards in the Basque Country have been tended since the Iberian Peninsula was part of the Roman Empire.
We cork up our first wine, a new sparkling Txakoli, Basque Champagne, accompanied by oysters as our guide explains to us the basics of wine making and the ancient history of Basque wines. Next up is the famous fresh white wine Txakoli paired with seafood and pickled peppers. A bit further south in the Basque Country do we find the great rosés, a wine which goes perfect with its regions asparagus and cold cut meats such as the Iberian “Bellota” ham. We will have a thorough rundown of La Rioja’s famous red wines, different varieties of aged wines paired with Txuleta: Basque steak and a few other unexpected pairings.
To finish of this journey through wines we take a look at Basque dessert wine paired with local sweets and pastry.
It’s the perfect way to get introduced into the world of Basque wines and their uniqueness. Plenty of wine and food makes a perfect evening and as an alternative dinner plan.
- Days: Monday, Wednesday and Friday
- Date: June 1st to September 30th
- Time: 12:00-14:00
- Duration: aprox. 2 hours
- Meeting Point: La Bretxa (CC The Bretxa., 20003 Donosti, Guipúzcoa)
- Groupsize: Maximum 10 guests
- PRICE: 65€
- Included in the price: Private bilingual guide, Local Wine expert, complimentary water bottle, 6 different wines, Food tastings with each wine, booklet with information on Basque Wines & Foods.
OTHER FOOD TOURS